Friday, May 25, 2012

Barry's Magic Shop-RIP

I read in today's Washington Post that long time downtown Wheaton instution Barry's Magic Shop is closing its doors after 38 years. It is a bit anticlimatic as the store's long term location on Georgia Ave was taken by the county a few years back-forcing the shop to locate to Rockville. Still those who know and love Wheaton will remember the shop well. I have stopped in a few times over the years ant the place was quaint and friendly. I still have my "foolbox" which I pull out at family gatherings to mystify the current generation of nieces and nephews with. I bought my first box at Barrys over two decades ago.

It is great to see tired old Wheaton get a face lift but I worry that so many of the quirky old stores and fine family owned ethnic restaurants that I have known for years will be phased out in favor of franchise "fat palaces" and more upscale stores. It seems to be the cost of progress when an area goes upscale. Rents go up too and many old timers get priced out of the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment