Monday, November 11, 2013

Five cheap Washington DC things you can do in five days. Day two: The President Woodrow Wilson House

I really don't know how I lived in Washington for all these years and missed The President Woodrow Wilson House. I really like old historic homes and try to see as many as I can. Located in the Kalorama part of DC, this is the home that President Wilson and his wife lived in after he was president until his death in 1924. His wife who was younger in age continued to live in the home until her death in 1961 when it then became a museum. The great thing about the Wilson home is that the interior is basically in the same condition that it was when he died in 1924. I really liked the fact that you can see how a 1920s style home looked and worked on a day to day basis.  In addition many of the Wilson's personal effects such as their clothing and photos are still in the home for the public to see. Wilson apparently loved modern gadgets and my favorite things in the tour was the primitive intercom system that he had installed in the home.

It costs ten bucks for a tours of the home. (About the cost of a burger in the downtown area.) I recommend that you check it out. The house is a great example of the Georgian Revival Style and the Kalorama area is a fun place to walk as there are an amazing number of fine homes in the neighborhood for you to gawk at. If you want to see what homes are selling for in Kalorama Heights you can visit my website

No comments:

Post a Comment