Wednesday, March 7, 2012

DC Renaissance




I was downtown showing properties this week. It has been a while but I like going into the district to show homes. I prefer the older homes and there is so much variety in DC. If you do not go downtown or have not been lately then you have to take a trip downtown and see what is happening. In a time of a nationwide weak housing market the DC market has to be one of the strongest in the nation. And it shows. Take a drive down 14th street and you won't believe your eyes. For all my life the 14th street corridor has been the poster child for urban decay. It was a scary place to go at anytime of the day. However, in the last half decade this corridor has become one of the hottest places to live and work in DC. It is great to see the change and a fun place to be.








Biggest surprise for me is the Brightwood and Shepherd Park area which has always been a nice place to live but just a little dog eared. I liked the area for its affordable homes and diverse community. But I would never have termed it as a "hot" place to buy. Now that is changing. Brightwood and Shepherd Park have a lot of great older homes-built between the wars. If you like craftsman style homes this is one place to look. But prices are going up. What I did not know about were the number of stunning art deco apartment houses that are in this area. Now there is a real push among developers to take these amazing small apartment buildings and convert them to condos. For the most part I like what I see as there is a real effort to maintain the lovely historical features of the buildings while offering state of the art living spaces.








I would not say that prices are cheap but compared to the rest of Washington, this is the place to look if you want a nice affordable condo in a great location. There in nothing more beautiful than Washington's deco and post deco style building and this is the place to see them.




The building pictured above is a small coop located on Kennedy Street near Carter Baron.

No comments:

Post a Comment