Monday, December 16, 2013

Another cheap Washington thing to do: The Dying Gaul



I remember as a kid my mom took my brothers and me down to the National Gallery of Art to see the Mona Lisa. I was pretty young at the time but found the experience amazing. I think I was more impressed by the crowd and long lines than anything else. And the solemn presentation of the painting. I remember how silent everybody was as if viewing a body at a funeral. As a work of art,  I really was too young to appreciate the significance of the Mona Lisa and only grew to know it when I was older. But I am glad my mom took us. The Mona Lisa does not travel out of France much. (only once to to the US  in 1963 and once to visit Tokyo) My mom also took us to see The Pieta when it paid a visit to the US. It was exhibited at the New York Worlds Fair in 1964. Once again, I was very young but I thought it was beautiful. I remember back then being impressed at how natural and smooth the stone looked.

My point is that I am pretty lucky to see two of the greatest works of art in the world. Not many can make that claim. I really appreciated my mother for making it happen.

We are very fortunate then that one of the most famous artworks of Western antiquity has come to our own National Gallery of Art. Much is unknown about the origins of "The Dying Gaul" which is currently on exhibit in the main rotunda of the Gallery and will be there until March 16th of next year. (The Washington Post article on the statue incorrectly states that it is leaving in January.) It is thought that the statue is a Roman  copy of a Greek bronze that has been lost to history. And here is a chance for you to see one of the finest examples of classical art for "free." Yes, you heard me. As far as I can tell there is no admission and you do not need to reserve a pass before hand. I am sure that the lines will be long and there might be some standing outside in the cold but if you are careful and go at off times (weekday morning when kids are in school) then you stand a better chance of seeing the statue without too much of a wait.

And I say do it. This statue has not left Italy for 200 years and it is not likely to be back in the US in any of our lifetimes. I can speak from experience. Works of art such as these will stick in your minds for a lifetime. They are exceptional for the impression that they can make on people. Go see them and drag your kids along. Make them leave their cell phones in the car for a change. They probably won't but perhaps they just might thank you later. You never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment