Monday, December 30, 2013

Priced out of DC? Why not take a look at Frederick.

Ever been to Frederick Maryland? It is one of my favorite towns in the state. My wife and I take every opportunity to get up there to visit friends or do a little shopping. If you like antiques and walking about, then Frederick is a great place to spend a day-or live for that matter. Yes, I know that Frederick is a good way from the DC Metro area. But if you can't afford to purchase in DC then Frederick is an excellent option for you. The town has viable and walk-able downtown area that features excellent dining and entertainment. There is a sizable historic district featuring many fine old homes-some that predate the American Civil War. I don't know if you would want to commute by car to Washington from Frederick as the traffic is pretty rough but there is a commuter train that runs from Frederick to Washington's Union Station. A few years back I sold a home in Frederick to some friends who work in Washington and I am told that commuting on the train is a lot different than driving to work. The time on the train is much more relaxing as you can do things that you can't in the car, such as read a good book or take a nap.


If you want to be in the downtown Frederick area (and really that is what these articles are about) then you are mostly talking about an older historic home. There are some very nice new condos located close to the center of town but the supply is limited. Best of all is that housing prices in Frederick are very inexpensive compared to Washington DC.  Over the the past decade Frederick has grown into a fairly large city with it's fair share of bedroom communities. However, you are always very close to the lovely Maryland country side. There is much to do in the region if you are into outdoor activities. I am partial to history and love to visit places like Harper's Ferry or some of the famous battlefield parks that populate this portion of Maryland.  The scenic Monoacacy River is very close to Frederick and features some fine fishing.


I myself have been thinking that my next home should be in a walkable town center. I am not a big fan of  the new, faux town centers that seem to be popping up all over the place these days, but want a real town center that has a little character to it. Frederick appeals to me as a good place to retire and stay within my budget. If  you find yourself growing frustrated with the prices of property in the District, give me a call. I would be glad to talk to you about Frederick. You can also go to my website's IDX search engine and take a look at some of the homes on the market in Frederick.

No comments:

Post a Comment