Saturday, January 4, 2014

Priced out of Washington DC? Did you ever consider Baltimore?

This is the third in my series of articles for those prospective buyers who just can seem to find an affordable home in the District. This time I would like bring up the possibility of  Baltimore  Even though I have called the DC area my home for most of my life, there was a time back before I was a Realtor when I spent ten years as a merchant seaman. My old Union Hall was located near the Old Shot Tower on East Baltimore Street. That was back in the 1970s and 80s and it really was a dangerous and seedy part of town. Some of you are old enough to remember the famous "Block" of Baltimore. Well, things have changed and the area around the inner harbor of Baltimore is very nice these days-drawing thousands of tourists annually and offering a fine walk-able communities featuring excellent dining and entertainment. One of the most beautiful baseball stadiums ever built is located in the downtown area at Camden Yards, I can think of no better place to watch a ball game. Washington DC and Baltimore are like oil and water. It is amazing how two large cities located so close to each other can be so different. While I have always considered DC to be a magnificent and stately city, I have always had a place in my heart for Baltimore which always seemed to have more soul. The first thing that comes to mind is that Baltimore is a blue collar city and there is a lot of history up there to remind you of the town's working class origins.

While not as wealthy as Washington, Baltimore features some really fine neighborhoods and substantially lower home prices than DC. And, if you are working in the DC area, Baltimore is right on the main Amtrak rail line for the Northeast Corridor. You probably can ride the train into the District a lot easier than you could drive from DC's outlying suburbs, and while on the train can get a lot more done with your spare time. Personally, I would find commuting by train a lot more desirable than driving.

While I said Baltimore has a lot of nice neighborhoods to live in, the neighborhoods that come to my mind for those looking for a friendly urban lifestyle would be Federal Hill, Locust Point and Fells Point. All are near the water (and Baltimore's great water taxis) and have a great community feel about them. Baltimore homes in this area are a mix of historic old row homes and modern high rise condos. Both offer a lot for the money when you compare them to similar properties in the District. The old row-houses are quite nice. They tend to be narrower than DC row-houses with narrow staircases but have the same historic charm. The roof top deck which is beginning to gain popularity in the District has been a staple of the Baltimore scene for many years and it seems like a lot more homes have them. You can expect the cost of living to be much less in Baltimore.I highly recommend that you think about Baltimore if you are about to give up your search in the District. You can check out my own website and  my  free search IDX to see some of the properties for sale in the downtown Baltimore area. I am sure you will be pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment